Saturday, December 22, 2007

Subarus, Five-0, and Flying shoes.

Interesting (albeit freezing) night at the usual place. Thread on NABISCO hinted at a scoob run, so I figured I'd show up with the WRX, and see how things were. Bardez followed in the Evo.

Started the night by arriving at the top and finding it nearly empty. The one car there informed me that several Subarus had gone down the run, and hadn't come back. The arrival of a GTI and a rented Sentra gave me my answer - one of them had crashed.

So we headed down to the scene, right near the bottom, at the exit of VTEC Killer, on the downhill, and found, sure enough, a WRB '04 WRX, on the wall. Seems the brakes had a bit more work than they could handle, and the car clipped the mountain. Sum of the damage: A busted strut, a snapped endlink, a banged up fender, and, most impressively, a wheel that no longer bore any evidence of spokes. That's why we like forged wheels. =D

So, minus one WRX, we decided to head back up. Original order was Juan, followed by Jose's WRB '07 STI, My '02 WRX, a black '07 STI, a modded 350Z, and, last, a silver '07 STI. (I might have the black and silver Subies confused.)

Well, I end up passing Jose about halfway up, and set off on my attempt to catch Bardez. I only managed to get to within a corner or so of him by the top...

We reach topside, followed by two of the STIs... but where are the other guys? Our answer comes when the last Subaru shows up. Z nailed a rock, took out a wheel of his own, and limped home on the spare.

Undaunted, we decide to check ridge out, hoping for some snow to slide in. I'm in third again, behind the same two. I fall back a corner or so, not feeling like pushing. Somehow, the Sentra ends up on me, and I pick the pace up a bit. About three quarters to the end, he, along with the whole rest of our group (which had now gained a turbo Miata, as well), disappears. Few minutes later, who shows up, but Black & White himself. The lead three of us end up sitting in the end turnout for a few minutes, and decide to head back. After a relatively slow cruise back to the fork, we arrive and find none of our party remaining.

So, we shoot the shit for a while, when Juan decides to kick a coffee cup off the edge. As he completes his followthrough, we notice his lack of a right sneaker. Thankfully, a successful recovery mission was accomplished. Eventually, we all decide to call it a night.

So, summary report:
Wheels: 0
Mountain: 2

Frontside: Clear, good conditions
Backside: Mostly clear. Some nasty rocks in the apex dirt, stay on the tarmac.
Ridge: Scattered rocks, small patches of black ice. Large patch of normal ice right before the shaded corner, headed outbound towards the village. Otherwise, not bad.

Overall: Clear, cold.

No comments: